The different methods adapted to ramp up the visibility of a webpage in the results of the search engines such as Yahoo!, Google, Bing or others to arrive at the free or organic results is called search engine optimization. This is different from results of pay-per-click. SEO is the chore of restructuring the contents of a website with a focus on optimizing it, utilization of procedures of building links, and viral content to peak the prospective customer’s interest as well as attaining a high rank in the results of the search engines. A person looking for a particular product, service or information enters a keyword or phrase and is inundated with search results. Search Engine Optimization, simply termed as SEO, ensures that the seeker is directed to the client’s website. The whole idea is to generate maximum traffic and out-do the competitors. While resorting to SEO techniques, care has to be taken not to violate any regulations committing which is generally termed as SPAM or spamdexing.
The work involved in SEO is quite extensive and includes programming, designing and composing the contents. Often SEO refers to the person carrying out these functions. Page ranking can be achieved by online marketers via activities such as:
• Acquiring links from websites with a similar topic. It becomes interesting to seek out words that might draw greater traffic to a website since they have other complementary contents. In case one wants to be associated with the word “groceries”, an attempt is to be made to obtain links from grocery stores in other regions. The subject matter may be the same, but the site trader will not be encroaching upon others since it will be original.
• The fact is that directories are no longer interested in search engines such as Yahoo! and Dmoz, yet in a small way obtaining links allows them to wriggle their way to one’s website looking for search engines. However, human intervention is necessary so as to ascertain that the pages of the website are at least readable.
• Signing up and involvement in forums related to the theme of one’s website can do a world of good. Giving a detailed account of the achievements encourage visitors to drop by and build up business gradually.
• Posting of articles on websites of others is yet another method. Articles are very powerful tools to enhance page ranking and number of visitors. Hiring an accomplished SEO to compose articles, helpful hints, or press releases is an excellent idea.
• Traders can use the prowess of social networking like Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, Hi5 to attract friends to visit their sites.
• Compilation of contents should be done with phrases that the Internet users seeking goods or services are likely to make use of.
• The creation of exclusive titles and description of every web page is ideal, as the search engines consider each page as a different production. Descriptions and titles are the points that search engines begin their detection for pertinent terms.
• Businessmen must present the total contents and links in a systematic way. A ‘site map’ – from Google and from the website can improve the visibility to a very large extent.