AIR Brings Your Rich Internet Applications Into the User’s Desktop
Adobe AIR is the runtime for desktop based Rich Internet Applications that run on multiple operating systems. AIR stands for Adobe Integrated Runtime. In addition to the features available in the Flash player, AIR provides an additional API that makes development of very rich and interactive desktop applications possible in a relatively shorter time compared to most other development platforms.
Adobe allows developers to develop AIR applications in three ways to build applications:
• Adobe AIR extension for Dreamweaver CS4
• Adobe AIR update for Flash CS4 Professional
• Flex Builder 3
AIR has a couple of benefits that you only get with a traditional desktop application, including:
• Cross platform application runtime.
• The ability to run while disconnected from the internet.
• Cost-effective technology, so development and deployment are rapid and low risk.
• Leverage existing web technologies and programming languages.
• Adobe AIR applications allow native desktop integration (i.e. support for drag/drop, notifications, clipboard support, etc…)
• Portability and ease of deployment.
• Adobe AIR as part of your RIA strategy increase productivity, improved customer satisfaction, lower costs, boost profits and extending your market reach.
• Allows enhanced features and interactivity.
• Ability to access local data and files with an embedded database.
Adobe Integrated Runtime’s primary goal is to be a true write once, run anywhere environment. High profile companies such as eBay, PayPal, AOL, and NASDAQ are already using Adobe AIR to deliver engaging RIAs to their users’ desktops.